Monday, May 11, 2015

Beth Anne Maresca, Author of Megan Owlet



Author Bio:
Beth Anne Maresca never went anywhere without her case of art supplies growing up as a child in rural Stone Ridge NY; drawing at home, in the car and sometimes under the covers when she was supposed to be asleep.  As she grew she had a yearning to work with children.  She received elementary and special education degrees at Providence College in RI and received her Master’s degree in reading at the College of St. Rose in NY.  During her 10 years of teaching children of all ages to read and write, her interest and love for children’s stories blossomed.

Beth Anne’s lifelong passion for creating art and her love for children's literature has led her to the wonderful world of writing and illustrating. Beth Anne lives in Massachusetts with her sources of inspiration, her husband and their four beautiful children.

Title: Megan Owlet
Author: Beth Anne Maresca
ISBN: 978-1632204042
Page count: 32
Genre: Children's fiction
Price: 16.99

Tell us about your book:
Megan Owlet doesn’t want to play basketball, learn karate, or practice the violin. Every day she goes and cheers her brothers on as they participate in their own activities, but one morning she wakes up and realizes she’s bored! It’s time for Megan to find something of her own to do.
After an unsuccessful brainstorming session with her animal friends, Megan stumbles upon a dance studio, and with an excited screech she begins to dream big dreams of whirls and twirls. Dancing is trickier than Megan expected, but with a little help from her brothers, Megan can do anything!

How long did it take to write the book?
From writing to obtaining a contract for Megan Owlet, it took about 3 years.  Along the way the story changed in many ways and the look of the main characters changed as well.  Many of the editors that did not take on Megan gave really great advice on how to make the story better and I believe it is the best that it ever has been.  Even though rejections are hard, they really help you and the story to grow and become better.

What inspired you to write the book?
I was inspired by my four children to write this book.  My daughter, the youngest in our family with three older brothers, had been shuffled from games and activities constantly on the weekends going to and from her brothers' activities.  When she was three she was finally old enough to have something for herself...and she tried dance class.  It was just such a joy for me to watch my little girl in an adorable pink tutu, something that was all hers!

Talk about the writing process. Did you have a writing routine? Did you do any research, and if so, what did that involve?
When I write, I like to start on paper, I feel like I have a closer connection to my words this way.  Once I feel I have a good base to my story I then type it on the computer.  After I have it on the computer I will print it and make revisions, again in pen on paper.  Since I do have four children and I worked (part-time) as a kindergarten teacher when I was writing the book , it was hard to have a set routine.  I wrote whenever I wasn't needed by someone and if I was busy, I was usually thinking about my story. I would jot down ideas or different word choices depending on what part of the story I was focusing on.  I did not do any research for the writing of the story, but I did research a lot of images for the pictures...such as karate poses, what it looks like to hold a violin, and of course ballet poses, leaps and jumps!

What do you hope your readers come away with after reading your book?
I hope my readers of "Megan Owlet" will come away with a happy feeling.  I hope children and parents see the importance of family and how important supporting each other within a family is. When my children were younger, around three or four, they did not like books that had grumpy faces or arguing. So, I wanted to make this a happy story and show how siblings can come together for each other.

Excerpt from book:
On the way, Megan saw something that made her feathers ruffle.  She let out a loud screech and pointed across the road.  "Is this something you'd like to try?" her mother asked.  "Oh, I know it is!" said Megan.  That night Megan went to bed and dreamed of all the things she would do in dance class.

Where can we go to buy your book?
Megan Owlet is available at Sky Pony Press, on amazon.com, Barnes and Noble, Walmart, Target and many other places on line.

No comments:

Post a Comment