Monday, April 13, 2015

ARNOLD RUDNICK, author of LITTLE GREEN - A Picture Book for Young Readers



Author Bio:
ARNOLD RUDNICK has written for many television shows, including THE FRESH PRINCE OF BEL-AIR, STAR TREK: VOYAGER and THE NEW ADDAMS FAMILY.

Title: LITTLE GREEN
Author: ARNOLD RUDNICK, illustrated by MARCELO GORENMAN
ISBN: 0981587976
Page count: 30
Genre: Picture Book 0-7yr
Price: 9.99

Tell us about your book:
LITTLE GREEN is about a small frog who wants to be special. He hops around asking a goose, horse or koi “Isn’t it possible?” he can be one of them. While the reader learns animal groups, skills, sounds and traits, Little Green learns he has to be himself.

How long did it take to write the book?
LITTLE GREEN took about 18 months to create. The first draft took only a couple months, translating the story into rhyme and the illustrations took about a year.

What inspired you to write the book?
LITTLE GREEN began as a bedtime story I told my daughter.  After I wrote a middle grade chapter book (ESPete: Sixth Grade Sense), I wanted to have a book for younger readers available for school visits, so I decided to write LITTLE GREEN down. What began as a catalog item evolved into a rhyming adventure, which was brought to beautiful life by artist Marcelo Gorenman.  When it was completed, I was thrilled with the response I got from readers, and the message of LITTLE GREEN became a personal mission to help promote literacy and confidence.

Talk about the writing process. Did you have a writing routine? Did you do any research, and if so, what did that involve?
The story for LITTLE GREEN was pretty straightforward after being developed and kid-approved at bedtime. After I got comments on the first draft, I decided to write it as a rhyming book, which is more difficult, but I felt the repetition and rhymes will help early readers.

What do you hope your readers come away with after reading your book?
I am excited to share LITTLE GREEN because it is a fun way for kids and parents to talk about possibilities, and for children to learn new things each time they read it.  I remember the books that taught me geography, history, and other fun facts. I love that some day a kid who grew up reading LITTLE GREEN will know that Frogs travel in Armies.  Hopefully, they will have learned that from LITTLE GREEN, and maybe they will even remember where they picked it up – but they will know it, and that groups of geese are flocks.  (Although a flying flock is really a skein, I used poetic license since I preferred “A flock of geese flew by overhead…”.)  Even more, I want readers to realize they have to be themselves, because no one else will be.  And that when they embrace who they are, almost anything is possible. I really hope that over time, “Isn’t it possible?” will be as empowering as “I think I can”!

Excerpt from book:
In the middle of the swamp, on a bright sunny day, sat a little green frog who wanted to play. A flock of geese flew by overhead. “Wow!” Little Green Frog jumped up and said.  Amazed by the way they soared through the sky, Little Green wanted to be as special and let out a sigh. He wanted to do something wonderful, too, so he hopped out of the pond in the direction they flew.

Great Goose held class at a nearby beach, teaching little geese to fly and extend their reach. “Believe in yourself,” the Great Goose said. “Anything is possible, if it’s in your head.”

Where can we go to buy your book?
LITTLE GREEN is available at Amazon.com and BN.com.  Discount copies are available for schools, pre-schools and libraries. Contact: Books@paraphrasellc.com

Any other links or info you'd like to share?
www.isntitpossible.com
Paraphrase, LLC: Read a Book, Read a Mind ®


1 comment: