Monday, January 6, 2014

Alicia Lloyd, author of When the Monsters are Quiet

Author Bio: Alicia Lloyd is a senior at West Chester University of Pennsylvania and is working towards her Bachelor’s Degree in Early Grades Preparation (PK-4) and Special Education. She has a strong passion for working with children and loves to write! Alicia lives in Oxford, Pennsylvania surrounded by her wonderful friends and family. 




Title: When the Monsters are Quiet
Author: Alicia Lloyd
ISBN: 13: 978-1-61244-219-8
Page count: 25
Genre: Children
Price: $11.95

Tell us about your book:
This friendly book is a fun way children can start to become proficient readers by reading about one of their biggest worries- bedtime! This book is a reminder to never be afraid of your monsters and has helpful hints for parents to help their children by exploring with early reading strategies at home. 


How long did it take to write the book?
About a day

What inspired you to write the book?

My idea was unique and unexpected. I was sleeping at a new place one night and at the age of 22, still afraid of monsters. I heard all of these weird and unfamiliar noises around the house. I was texting my boyfriend, Chris, saying, “I don’t like this! I’m hearing too many noises, I can’t fall asleep.” He then texted me back asking if I ever did fall back asleep. My response was, “eventually, when the monsters were quiet.” Right there I thought, “That would be an awesome title for a children’s book!” The next weekend at 3am I suddenly woke up, went to my phone, opened notepad, and wrote the last two lines and the first three of my book. The next day Chris and I were driving and he was singing Selena Gomez’s song, “Come Get It,” extremely loud and obnoxious. (I find it funny with him being 6’5 singing this song.) Somehow, I finished my book right next to him in the car.


Talk about the writing process. Did you have a writing routine? Did you do any research, and if so, what did that involve?
The title came from a text I wrote out when I couldn’t sleep and was blaming the noises on monsters. I thought about the title here and there for a few days. One night at three in the morning, I got up and wrote down the last two lines of my book and the first three of the book. I wrote it write on the notepad application on the Iphone. The next day my boyfriend and I were driving somewhere. My boyfriend is 6’5 screaming Selena Gomez’s song “Come and Get It” in the driver’s seat….obnoxiously. Somehow I finished my book next to him.

What do you hope your readers come away with after reading your book?
I hope that my readers comprehend the fact that bedtime doesn’t have to be anything scary and usually it is just us thinking the worst scenarios possible. I always hope they walk away with the message to never be afraid of their monsters, regardless of what their monster may be.

Excerpt from book:
“So the next time you think monsters are under your bed,
Just remember, it is all in your head!”

Where can we go to buy your book?
My book is available on Halo Publishing’s Website, Amazon, ebay, and barnesandnoble.com. It is also located in 40,000 databases in over 100 countries around the world.

Any other links or info you'd like to share?
You can find out more about Alicia Lloyd, her book and World of Ink Author/Book Tour at http://tinyurl.com/mxhj8vj 



The World of Ink Network will be touring author Alicia Lloyd’s monster picture book, When the Monsters are Quiet January 2014. You can find out more about Alicia Lloyd, her book and World of Ink Author/Book Tour at http://tinyurl.com/mxhj8vj




1st grade reading level children's book. Phonemic awareness and reading comprehension strategies are in the back of the book so parents can get their kiddos star readers!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment