Friday, October 25, 2013

Patti B. Jefferson, author of How Long Will You Love Me?


Author Bio: Patti Brassard Jefferson lives under a palm tree in sunny Florida with her husband Ken & her two rescued mutts, Mollie & Marley. She began writing stories and drawing pictures when she was a little girl and to this day she loves a sharp pencil & a new box of crayons. When she is not working on a book project, she can be found drawing on the sidewalk with chalk or breaking tiles for a mosaic. How Long Will you Love Me is the first children's book that Ms. Jefferson has written & illustrated.


Title: How Long Will You Love Me?
Author: Patti Brassard Jefferson
ISBN: 978-1-61244-165-8  
Page count: 28 
Genre: Children

Price: $16.95 hardcover. $12.95 paperback. $6.99 E-book.


Tell us about your book:
How Long Will You Love Me? is a book about all of the silly things you can think of to define the length of time that love will last. It's a question that children ask the adults in their lives all the time. Actually, its probably a question that we as adults ask each other more than we care to admit. This book answers the questions in funny improbabilities like " 'til baseballs grow on trees" or " 'til snakes wear boots". It's basically a reassuring look at endless love.

How long did it take to write the book?
Apparently 50 years! Seriously, I came up with the page about the freckles that play golf about 8 years ago as a Valentine's Day card and probably about a year later started creating a few of the others. I don't think I had totally committed to it becoming a book at all yet. In 2010, I got married and moved to Florida which is when I finally got serious about finishing the book. At that point, I added the final pages and it was finally a book! I think a lot of first time author fall into the same sort of long,drawn out time frame. The second book will be concept to completion in 6-7 months.

What inspired you to write the book?
I heard someone say "I promise I will love you until that freckle falls off" and I thought that was a sweet thought. I started thinking about other things that could never happen. Love is a fragile thing and everyone, especially kids, need some guarantees so I created each page in the book with the promise that love will last until something totally impossible happens.

Talk about the writing process. Did you have a writing routine? Did you do any research, and if so, what did that involve?
Since I write and illustrate my books, I have to work both sides of the process. My initial session with a new thought is to sit with a big drawing pad and as I write out the first draft of the text, I also scribble out what the page might look like. We are definitely talking stick figures at this point. I don't have a set schedule during the week that I write or illustrate but I do have deadlines that I impose on myself. I also leave everything ready to go on my drawing table so if I get an idea, the pencil is already sharpened and ready to go.

What do you hope your readers come away with after reading your book?
I hope that this book makes the reader feel safe in the fact that love is everlasting. I'd also like for them to think "boy, that was a fun read". No one has read this book more often then I have and there are still parts that make me laugh. Bunnies wearing alligator shoes is still pretty funny!


Excerpt from book:

"I promise I will love you

'til the oceans turn to sand

and all the whales & dolphins

are laying out to tan."


Where can we go to buy your book?

The book is available in a variety of places on-line:

www.howlongwillyouloveme.com

www.amazon.com/author/pbj

www.halopublishing.com

www.barnesandnoble.com


Any other links or info you'd like to share?
Facebook: www.facebook.com/howlongwillyouloveme

Blog: www.1crayonshort.blogspot.com


No comments:

Post a Comment