Monday, September 16, 2013

MaryAnn Tatro, author of Milton the Square Shell Turtle


Author Bio:
MaryAnn Tatro grew up in a suburb of Cleveland, Ohio, but her heart is in the country.  She currently lives in Wadsworth, Ohio with her husband Dennis of 20 years and their cat.
After high school, she attended Southern Ohio Business College and received a degree in Office administration and communication.  She also attended Cooper School of Art for 1 year and took away with her a love to create, design and never be afraid of color.

She worked several years for a publishing company in Cleveland while raising her son Ryan.
MaryAnn and her husband enjoy nature walks, antiques, yard sales and being with family. 

Title: Milton The Square Shell Turtle
Author: MaryAnn Tatro
ISBN: 978-1-61244-106-1
Page count: 24 pages
Genre: Children’s book
Price: $11.95 paperback and $4.95 e-book

Tell us about your book:
Milton is a story of a turtle.  Unlike other turtles with round or oval shells, Milton has a square shell. One afternoon, and being new to the area, he decides to take a walk to the pond to relax.

Just when he thinks he finds the perfect spot, he can’t stay.  Not wanting to cause a problem, he goes further up the pond, only to discover, home is the best place to relax.

How long did it take to write the book?
It took me 2 months to write the book, however, it actually started 28 years ago.  I had no idea then there would be a book in my future.

What inspired you to write the book?
My inspiration came from a 10x10 tile my son painted 28 years ago for a project his day-care and a selected few other day-cares participated in.  After the tiles were completed, they were displayed at a local park in the Cleveland area.  My son painted a turtle on his tile.  A few years ago the tiles were relocated to another area park and that’s when the idea for a story came to mind.  I wanted to capture the memory in a children’s book and Milton the square shell turtle was born.

Talk about the writing process. Did you have a writing routine? Did you do any research, and if so, what did that involve?
I don’t have any particular writing routine, per say…..I keep notebooks and pens in every room in the house and when an idea comes to mind, I’ll jot that idea down and perhaps use it for future reference.
I did do research on turtles. 

What do you hope your readers come away with after reading your book?
That we are all different and unique and that includes nature.  I want my readers to also know, Milton has a peaceful personality and doesn’t let his square shell keep him from being who he is.

Excerpt from book
This passage is how the book opens:     

This is the story of a turtle named Milton.  Now Milton is different from other turtles because of his shell.  You see, Milton has a square shell, but that didn’t discourage Milton in anyway.  He only thought of himself as being special.



Where can we go to buy your book?
Interested readers can go to Halo Publishing’s website and click on “authors” and find me and order there, or amazon, e-bay.  They can also contact me via e-mail at: dtatro62@yahoo.com or if they’re ever in the Wadsworth, Ohio area, Buehlers Supermarket, and two stores in the Cleveland, Ohio area as well. 



I hope readers enjoy the book.  I’ve sold many books from my own personal order and I get good, positive feedback.  Milton is for ages 0-7 and it’s a good book for parents and grandparents to read to a child.

Thank you,
MaryAnn Tatro



Places available for sale:
Amazon.com


You can find out more about MaryAnn Tatro, her book and World of Ink Author/Book Tour at http://tinyurl.com/oz73p92

No comments:

Post a Comment