Monday, August 19, 2013

LeeAnna Kail, author of The OWL Who Couldn't WHOO



Author Bio:
LeeAnna Kail grew up in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania with her loving parents and five siblings. Ever since LeeAnna was little, she had an interest in writing. In fact, when she was in the fourth grade, she completed a career project and dressed as an author with dreams of writing her own book one day.
LeeAnna attended Duquesne University with a double major in political science and English with intentions of attending law school after graduation. While studying abroad in Rome, Italy, LeeAnna had a change of heart and decided to continue her education at Duquesne studying elementary education instead. She knew she found her niche the first day of class. Inspired by an assignment from a children’s literature course, LeeAnna's dream of writing a book has come true.
LeeAnna currently teaches in Pittsburgh and hopes to be an inspiration to her students to follow their dreams.


Title: The Owl Who Couldn’t WHOO
Author: LeeAnna Kail
ISBN: 978-1612441290
Page count: 24 pages
Genre: Children’s Literature Book, Fiction, Picture Book
Price: $11.95

Tell us about your book:
My book is about an owl named Ollie who cannot “WHOO.” Instead he says, “WHEERE!” or “WHEEN!” or “WHYY!” and sometimes “WHAAT!” Because he is different, the other owls tease him. When his little sister gets lost in the forest, Ollie comes up with the idea to use his special words to find her.

How long did it take to write the book?
About a week. It was final project for a graduate class.

What inspired you to write the book?
As I was daydreaming in class one night, I spotted a tiny cut out owl “staring” at me. In that moment, the idea clicked, “What if I write about an owl who can’t WHOO?” From there, it took a few days to develop the plot.

Talk about the writing process. Did you have a writing routine? Did you do any research, and if so, what did that involve?
I have been writing all of my life. I have probably written over 300 papers from high school through graduate school, especially since one of my undergraduate majors was in English with a focus in writing. Because of that, I am almost forced to have a writing routine! I first work the plot out in my head and bounce ideas off of my dad, who I always go to for inspiration. From there, I write an outline and a rough draft all while listening to soft music. After that, I have several other drafts. And then even more drafts. As a writer, your work is never finished. There’s always something that can be perfected. 

I did some research, although not much since it’s a fiction story. I researched the specific owls I wanted to write about and specific terms to use when talking about them.

What do you hope your readers come away with after reading your book?
My book is about an owl named Ollie who cannot “WHOO.” Instead he says, “WHEERE!” or “WHEEN!” or “WHYY!” and sometimes “WHAAT!” Because he is different, the other owls tease him. When his little sister gets lost in the forest, Ollie comes up with the idea to use his special words to find her.

Excerpt from book:
Ollie lived in a parliament of Spotted Owls deep in the forest. He was the only owl that did not, “WHOO!” Instead, Ollie said, “WHEERE!” or “WHEEN!” or “WHYY!” and sometimes “WHAAT!” The other owls teased him. 

“WHOO is the only owl in the village that cannot WHOO! Ollie, Ollie, Ollie that is WHOO!” they chanted together. 

“You say funny words,” Hooty shouted. “You sound silly!” Spotty made fun of Ollie. “Are you even a real owl?” Percy teased. 

Poor Ollie felt sad. He couldn’t help screeching, “WHEERE!” or “WHEEN!” or “WHYY!” and sometimes “WHAAT!”

Where can we go to buy your book?


Amazon.com, BarnesandNoble.com, by author


Any other links or info you'd like to share?


World of Ink Author/Book Tour at http://tinyurl.com/n5bul86

Twitter: @LA_Kail
 

No comments:

Post a Comment