Monday, July 22, 2013

Cari Lyn, author of Butterscotch & Me


Author Bio:
I grew up on the east coast of Florida, and spent most of my time riding, reading and daydreaming, often all at once.

I have always made up stories and as soon as I learned how to, I wrote them down. However, it was the endless nights of reading and making up stories for my daughter when she couldn't sleep that started me on the path towards writing and illustrating children's books.

I still live in Florida with my husband and daughter, five chickens, four cats, two horses, and a peacock, who I really can't lay claim to. He just wonders in from time to time.

Title: Butterscotch & Me
Author: Cari Lyn
ISBN: 978-1-937576-00-4
Page count: 28
Genre: Children’s Picture Book
Price: $9.99

Tell us about your book:
Butterscotch & Me is about a girl, her friend Butterscotch and their dream-time adventures. The characters explore many fantastical places. They drift on clouds through the night sky, play hide-n-seek in the miniature world of the garden, and swim to the deepest depths of the ocean. Written for bedtime reading, the story shows that sleep can be fun and that dreams are a great way to go all sorts of places and do all sorts of things.

How long did it take to write the book?
From concept to final edit, including illustrations, about a year.

What inspired you to write the book?
Many, many, many sleepless nights! My daughter has always had difficulty sleeping, especially when she was younger, and her autism made the traditional parental approach to bedtime, at least when this all started, an unrealistic option. I would read stories to her before bed, and stories to her when she would wake up at all hours of the night or early morning.

She had, well actually still has, a floppy stuffed horse that we named Butterscotch. My husband and I used to call it her magical horse because she would often settle in easier when she snuggled up with it. One particularly bad night at around 2:00 am, I started making up stories about her and Butterscotch and adventures they would go on, and that was really where the idea was born.

Talk about the writing process. Did you have a writing routine? Did you do any research, and if so, what did that involve?
I still write everything out long hand first before I put it on a computer. My husband says that I just like making things harder for myself, but I still cannot write the first, or even the second, draft on a computer, but other than that, I really don’t have a writing process. So far each book has come to be in different ways.
I didn’t really have a routine when I was writing and illustrating Butterscotch & Me, but my daughter was involved with much of the drawing process. She would sit behind me, perched on the arm of my chair, her legs tucked against my back, chin on my shoulder, watching me draw. She would offer suggestions like what color she thought the pajamas should be and such.

I did have to do a bit of research mostly to help me draw Butterscotch in the variety of poses needed for the story. Many of those poses were ones horses don’t often do, at least not in the way I needed them too. I just could NOT find one jumping on a trampoline!  

What do you hope your readers come away with after reading your book?
A sense of time well spent together. Hopefully, with the knowledge that there are no limitations on our imagination and that it is a wonderful thing to dream the fantastical. 

Excerpt from book:
On some nights we fly high up in the sky far above where the cloud ships sail. Then Butterscotch will say, “let’s race along the milky way and catch comets by their tails.”

Where can we go to buy your book?
Butterscotch & Me is available on amazon.com, barnesandnoble.com, powells.com, indiebound.org, and booksamillion.com

Any other links or info you'd like to share?
My blog, Idyll Dreams, can be found at: http://carilynsbooks.blogspot.com.  I try to post updates on my books, giveaways, and whatever else is going on. I post some concept art there although I post more on my facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/cari.lyn.90.

My next book, Molly the Mermaid, coming May 1st,  is about a girl, the sea, and the fantastic adventures that her imagination takes on while she plays in the waves, and I am currently working on a third book  tentatively titles What Every Dragon Needs scheduled for later this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment