Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Viji K. Chary, Mom's Choice Honoree of Porcupine's Seeds



Author Bio:
Viji K. Chary was born in India and immigrated to the United States at the age of two. Her passion for writing stories began in elementary school and has evolved from coaching children in various activities including gymnastics, classroom activities and creative competitions. Her stories have been published in Highlights for Children, Ladybug Magazines, Hopscotch for Girls and many more. Recently, her first picture book, Porcupine’s Seeds received the Mom’s Choice Award.


Title: Porcupine’s Seeds

Author:  Viji K. Chary

ISBN: 978-0983801849

Page count: 28

Genre: picture book
Price: 11.99
 
Tell us about your book:
My latest book is Porcupine’s Seeds. In this book, Porcupine longs to grow beautiful sunflowers in his garden, just like Raccoon. When Raccoon give Porcupine seeds, she says that all they need is soil, sun and water. But growing sunflowers is not easy for porcupine. 

Porcupine's Seeds also connects to early elementary science curriculum.



How long did it take to write the book?
The idea of writing this book came to me years after the incident that inspired the story. I really don’t remember how long it took to actually write it. I imagine writing the first draft would have taken a few weeks. It is the revisions that take months. It takes time to adjust sentence structure, character development and the flow of the story.

What inspired you to write the book?
When my son was four, we planted seeds in small pots. As he went inside the house, he tripped over the threshold, and the soil and seeds scattered. This incident sparked a story idea that became Porcupine's Seeds.
Talk about the writing process. Did you have a writing routine? Did you do any research, and if so, what did that involve?
Every day is different for me.  I write out a ‘to write’ list at the start of the month. On the weekends, I plan my work for the week. I begin with the most time-consuming work first. Some days, I am writing for an assigned story, and other days I focus on applying for grants or work on marketing. If I am working on a non-fiction piece, I do all the research first. This can take a lot of time – finding the resource, reading, taking notes on all the sources. There are also WIP stories to work on. Occasionally, there are days for reading and analyzing target magazines.

What do you hope your readers come away with after reading your book?
Porcupine’s Seeds has beginning science concepts. But it also shows Porcupine’s perseverance at a task that does not come easy to him. I hope that readers some away with that character growth as well. 


Excerpt from book:
Wh-whee! A strong spring breeze swirled through the garden, and the seeds tumbled away.

 

Where can we go to buy your book?
Porcupine’s Seeds is available at http://4rvpublishingcatalog.yolasite.com/chary.php

Any other links or info you'd like to share?
Please visit my website, www.vijikchary.com for more information.


2 comments:

  1. Porcupine's Seeds is a fun book for children. It can also be found through the 4RV Publishing bookstore: http://4rvpublishingcatalog.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulation!I like the video. .www.ronalddestra.com .www.hoppythefrog.com

    ReplyDelete