Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Sherry Ellis, author of That Mama is a Grouch



Author Bio:
Sherry Ellis is also the author of That Baby Woke Me Up, AGAIN! and a professional musician who plays and teaches violin, viola, and piano. She resides in Loveland, Ohio, with her husband and two children, and has considerable experience with toy-strewn environments.


Title: That Mama is a Grouch
Author: Sherry Ellis
ISBN: 978-1450535656
Page count: 32
Genre: Children’s Picture Book
Price: $13.99

Tell us about your book:
Will anything get a mother yelling about time outs and withholding favors faster than a toy-strewn house?  In That Mama is a Grouch, an intelligent and very wise narrator reminds us in charming rhyme that mothers are human, most often loving, and that certain situations will guarantee driving them to their breaking point.   

How long did it take to write the book?
About a month.

What inspired you to write the book?
One day, when my kids were very young, I was walking through the family room with a basket full of laundry.  I didn’t see my kids’ toys, and ended up tripping over them.  Unfortunately, I whacked my foot on the sofa. This resulted in a broken toe.  I was not a happy Mama!  I decided shortly thereafter, to write a book which may help kids understand the importance of cleaning up and following household rules.   

Talk about the writing process. Did you have a writing routine? Did you do any research, and if so, what did that involve?
Writing this particular book was not part of a routine.  I just sat down and wrote until it was finished.  Things are a little different for my current project.  It involves a lot of research, and blocking out writing time each day.

What do you hope your readers come away with after reading your book?
I would hope that kids learn the importance of following rules and cleaning up, and I would hope that parents come away with an understanding that kids are well, kids.  A certain amount of chaos and mayhem is to be expected.


Excerpt from book:
So in she came.
She growled my name
And said, “Clean up your mess!’

All right, I guess,
But I profess
That Mama is a grouch.


Where can we go to buy your book?
It’s available through Amazon, Barnes and Noble, iTunes, Smashwords, and at my website, www.sherryellis.org

Any other links or info you'd like to share?
My website is www.sherryellis.org, and my blog, Mama Diaries, is http://sherryellis.blogspot.com

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for having me as a guest here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Be nice if all kids cleaned up, and ouch to the broken toe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your book, Sherry! Maybe one of these day it'll make my kids realize the importance of picking up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry you broke your toe! It led to inspiration though. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Pat and Alex! Yes, the broken toe was not fun at all, but at least it resulted in a good book.

    Dana - glad you like the book. Good luck getting your kids to clean up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great interview! Great book, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Enjoyed your interview and your book! Sorry I'm late in stopping by.

    ReplyDelete