Monday, April 8, 2013

Alyce Joy Rininger, author of KA-BOOM!



Author Bio:
Alyce Joy was blessed with four children for whom she composed bedtime verses every night. Than inspired her to publish a children’s booklet of prayers, entitled “Priceless Gems.” When her children were grown, she began to write stories for her grandchildren.
           
Always fascinated with arts and crafts, she taught herself the art of pyrography. This fired her imagination, and she started burning life-sized pictures of wildlife onto all the doors of her home.
           
After putting away her burning tools and torches, she enrolled in, and graduated from the Institute of Children’s Literature.


Title: “Ka-Boom!”
Author: Alyce Joy Rininger
ISBN: 13:978-1-61244-069-9
Page count: 45
Genre: Children’s Fantasy-Adventure
Price: $13.95

Tell us about your book:
Sprout is a fairy from Spritesville, Ohio. She is in the service of her queen, even though she gets into a lot of unexpected, serious happenstances.
           
The fairy always manages to get out of trouble, sometimes, with the help of her friends. She even turns the most dangerous episodes, with the meanest characters, into very happy situations.
           
Queen Splaminda, is quite sure Sprout will grow out of a serious shoe fetish, along with her penchant for silly or dangerous misadventures.  (They always come out right anyway.)

How long did it take to write the book?
I wrote it ten years ago, but the idea of turning my stories into books came years later Now, I’m making a series out of them, starring Sprout the fairy, with a grandchild or more, in tow.
           
What inspired you to write the book?
Actually, my family and friends encouraged me. I have a lot of support from my husband and children.

Talk about the writing process. Did you have a writing routine? Did you do any research, and if so, what did that involve?
When I entered the institute, I wrote at night, while everything was quiet. Now there is no set time. There’s pens and paper all over the house including my bedroom. When the light bulb flashes, I write.
           
So far, my only research has been y imagination and the living beings in my gardens, plus the surrounding woods. Then there is my son’s small lake, which played a big part in “Ka-Boom!” Soon, I will have to do research on pirates and their ships.

What do you hope your readers come away with after reading your book?
The lessons in my stories are not a beacon for the children to see as such. The problems that children have, but don’t necessarily realize they have are subjects used in my stories. Sprout cleverly uses her talents to teach and motivate. That’s her job, and I guarantee, the queen is putting stars on the fairy’s service chart. I want children to enjoy Sprouts misadventures so-o much they can’t wait for the next book.           


Excerpt from book:
            The earth began to rumble. Spooky thuds and cruel whomping sounds erupted from the ground above their heads. The walls of the chamber trembled, and clumps of soil bounced off their bodies, crumbling to the floor.
            “What’s that?” whispered Taylor with huge, round eyes. Both of her feet left the ground, as she sprang behind Snilly Snails shell.
            Wham…Whom…Whip-whap!
            “It’s them, dearie,” said Miss Chipsie, in a protective voice. “Come here with me,” she said, holding her arms out to Taylor. The frightened child hurried into her comforting embrace.

Where can we go to buy your book?
            “Ka-Boom!” can be ordered at any book store.
              amazon.com
             Halo Publishing International  www.halopublishing.com
            Alyce Joy Rininger  alycejoy@frontier.com  330-239-2446

Any other links or info you'd like to share?
            I’m working on my second book now. It’s the most difficult one of all.


No comments:

Post a Comment