Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Traci McDonald, author of Killing Casanova


Author Bio:
Traci McDonald lives in scenic southern Utah with her husband and three sons. Besides her writing, she enjoys reading, music, sports and the outdoors. Traci has been blind for over 18 years, and uses assistive technology to write and read. Killing Casanova is her debut novel, the sequel being published in April of 2013. Traci has also written for The National Federation of The Blind’s Utah affiliate as well as their website blindhow.com her blog tracimcdonald.blogspot.com/writingblind serves as a host for The World of Ink Network and she is a member of The Utah League of Writers as well as a board member with The Heritage Writer’s Guild.


Title:Killing Casanova
Author:Traci McDonald
ISBN: ISBN 10: 1-4405-5242-8
ISBN 13: 978-1-4405-5242-7
eISBN 10: 1-4405-5241-X
eISBN 13: 978-1-4405-5241-0
Page count:157
Genre:Romantic Suspense
Price:14.99 paperback, 4.99 e-book




Tell us about your book: Killing Casanova is the story of Jake Caswell and Cassie Taylor. Jake has a reputation for being the town’s local Casanova. Sexy, charming and gorgeous, women literally line up for a chance to be with him. Most women…but not Cassie. Cassie has a bitter past experience with men like Jake and her physical blindness makes it difficult for her to see the man Jake wants her to see. Their journey through healing and heartache teaches them both, the difference between true love and attraction.
 


How long did it take to write the book?
I wrote Killing Casanova in two separate parts. The first three quarters of it took me about six weeks. When I had some health problems and family situations come up, I put it down for about four months. My publisher Crimson Romance, an arm of Adam’s Media, put out a call for romances in March, and three weeks later, I finished the story and queried for publication.

What inspired you to write the book?
When I was in my twenties, I lived back east and knew more than one Casanova. Most of these guys were good time charlies and I always ended up a little broken after dating them. Eighteen Years ago, I lost my eyesight and the way I looked at men completely changed because it was no longer about attraction to what I could see. There is a line from a Carrie Underwood song about a "Good Time Cowboy Casanova" which says…"he’s the devil in disguise, he’s a snake with blue eyes." When I heard that song I thought to myself, There was a time in my life when I was a sucker for a ‘snake with blue eyes.’ Thank God going blind saved me from ending up with one of those guys. And a story was born.

Talk about the writing process. Did you have a writing routine? Did you do any research, and if so, what did that involve?
My writing process starts with a spark of an idea for a pair of characters. A line from a song or a book will have an interesting play on words and I will immediately picture a hero and a heroine. From there I interview and flesh out my characters. The physical descriptions come first followed by, the sound of their voices, what they wear, where they live and so on. Then I ask them questions. I conduct an interview like this one. 
What do you do? Why? 
What makes your life interesting?
  
This is the point where I begin my research. I find out what there hobbies, jobs and settings look like. I learn about their lives from the inside out. I do most of my research on-line because my computer reads the websites aloud to me, but I also use audio books and books from the Library for the Blind.

Once my characters are solid, including the faults and fears. I plot the story from beginning to end. I work when my kids are in school and at night when they are in bed because the digital voice on my computer annoys my family.

What do you hope your readers come away with after reading your book?
I hope my readers learn how to create real love in their own relationships. Much of what brings people together is attraction, but love is the work of the story. By having a blind character, I hope to show my readers how un-important attraction really is. Fall in love from the perspective of a person who sees through the masks we all wear. If I did my job…You’ll learn about true love.


Excerpt from book:
Jana laughed again and pulled Cassie to her feet. “It sounds like you have known a few Casanovas of your own.”
 Leading Cassie through the crowded bar to the swinging doors and into the parking lot, Jana wrapped one arm around Cassie’s shoulders and headed them toward the sound of departing vehicles.
“Yeah, a few,” Cassie muttered as Jana pulled the keys from her pocket.
“I don’t know Jake very well,” Jana said, unlocking Cassie’s door. “But from what I’ve heard, he’ll either make you have feelings you can’t fight, or he’s the one your mama always warned you about.”
Cassie frowned again and waited for Jana to start the old truck. As Jana backed out of Mcgoo’s parking lot, Cassie sighed again. “Either way, Jana,” she said sadly, “if I were you, I’d run for my life.”
 

Where can we go to buy your book?
Killing Casanova is available through amazon.com, bnn.com, itunes.com, googlebooks.com, allromanceebooks.com and most everywhere e-books are sold. You can purchase print on demand copies all these places as well, along with my publisher’s website. Crimsonromance.com

Any other links or info you'd like to share?
To find out more about Killing Casanova and my other work go to:
Tracimcdonald.blogspot.com/writingblind or at tracimcdonald.505 on facebook, my twitter tracimcauthor, or e-mail me at tracimcdonaldauthor@gmail.com

You can also find samples of my writing on storylane.com/tracimcdonald



No comments:

Post a Comment