Friday, March 22, 2013

Starr Burgess, author of Counselor Dyamite Twas the Day Before Chirstmas Break




Author Bio:
Mrs. Burgess worked as an elementary teacher and school counselor for a total of seven years. She has a Master’s Degree in Professional Counseling from Texas State University. She is a Licensed Professional Counselor and works in her private practice, LifeMenders Counseling. Starr is busy working on her second children’s book:Counselor Dynamite Befuddles the Bullyville Crew. She currently resides with her husband, Clyde, and their daughter in Pflugerville, TX.

Title: Counselor Dynamite Twas the Day Before Christmas Break
Author: Starr Burgess
ISBN: 1601311184
Page count: 28
Genre: Fiction
Price: $16.95
 

Tell us about your book:
This book is about Counselor Dynamite, who is the superhero of schools. The story takes place the day before Christmas break. Teachers and staff members are tired and running low on patience and the students are full of unbridled energy. Counselor Dynamite notices that something is amiss and quickly jumps into action knowing that if something isn't done soon students, teachers, and staff will never be the same once chaos is unleashed.

How long did it take to write the book?
One and a half days.

What inspired you to write the book?
I had the wonderful opportunity to work with a diverse group of students from different cultures, races, socioeconomic backgrounds, and traditional and nontraditional family units. As I listened to their life stories and how they saw the world I began to notice the common theme of children lacking the capacity of desiring to honor each other. I learned that many of our children are exposed to behavioral patterns and coping skills from multiple sources and then they expose those coping skills at school and at times negatively interact with people of authority and their peers. As a result students in general had difficulty in the areas of conflict/resolution, problem solving, and boundaries.  So I grappled for a while with what to do because I knew children needed and truly desired healthy boundaries and an understanding of treating others with respect. I did a self- evaluation of my skill set and made the decision to reach children through the power of the pen. Once I began writing it was as if the dam opened up and the words rushed out. I knew I was on the right path and I never looked back. Many of our children are in search of positive role models. With that knowledge in mind I began writing stories that were amusing but instilled and reinforced positive character traits. I know that many children connect with and hold superheroes in high regard so I decided to create the first superhero of schools, Counselor Dynamite. 

Talk about the writing process. Did you have a writing routine? Did you do any research, and if so, what did that involve?
I write in areas of my home where there is an abundance of natural light. My most favorite place to write is in my living room by the window. I do not necessarily have a writing routine, most times I write in the spontaneity of the moment. I did not do any intentional research. My research rather came about as a result of my work environment. I worked in the school system for several years with many children of different backgrounds who had diverse life experiences. Through my writing I focus onpromoting positive character traits such as kindness, patience, courage, and empathy as well as encourage children to enjoy reading through humor and understand how their behavior affects others.
What do you hope your readers come away with after reading your book?
I would like readers to remember the positive impact of simple acts of kindness, the power of empathy, and the far reaching effects of a genuine smile or asking someone how they’re doing.

Excerpt from book:
Twas‟ the day before Christmas Break, when all through the school
Not a teacher was happy, they were losing their cool.
The students were rowdy, they were losing their minds
The teachers decided these children have one more time!
Emotions were high, everyone had had enough
If something didn’t change, it was going to get rough.
The counselor was called to check room after room,
To make sure the teachers hadn’t fled the school with a zoom!

Where can we go to buy your book?
Online at Barnes and Noble, Amazon, and the Apple I-Store.

 Any other links or info you'd like to share?
Check out my website www.counselordynamite.com. Please also check out and like us on facebook.com/counselordynamite as well as follow me on Twitter.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment