Friday, March 15, 2013

Jo Linsdell, author of Fairy May

Author Bio:
Jo Linsdell is an award winning blogger and freelance writer living in Rome, Italy . She is also the author of several books including the popular Italian for Tourists, A Guide to Weddings in Italy and the best selling children's picture book Out and About at the Zoo. Her latest book Fairy May was released on 1st February 2013. You can find out more about her at www.JoLinsdell.com

Title: Fairy May
Author: Jo Linsdell
ISBN: 9781481951425
Page count: 32
Genre: children's picture book
Price: currently priced at $6.37 on Amazon

Tell us about your book:
Fairy May is in rhyming text and accompanied by simple, colorful pictures.

Fairy May is a young fairy who dreams of one day becoming a tooth fairy. Unfortunately for Fairy may she struggles at school and always seems to get things wrong. With hard work and determination she prepares for her test. Will she realize her dream and become a tooth fairy?

How long did it take to write the book?
I wrote the first draft in a couple of hours one evening. Editing then took about 2 weeks to get it right.

What inspired you to write the book?
My niece asked me to write a book for her and specified that it needed to have fairies in it. As my youngest son was teething at the time the tooth fairy theme was the first to come to mind. I wanted it to be more than just a typical tooth fairy story though and wanted a stronger message than just encouraging good dental hygiene. I had a think about the life lessons that are important to me and almost instantly knew that it should be about following your dreams.

Talk about the writing process. Did you have a writing routine? Did you do any research, and if so, what did that involve?
I'm a mum to two young children and so I don't have a writing routine. I grab time when I can which is 5 minutes here and there or maybe a bit longer late at night when they're both in bed asleep.

My research for this book consisted of doing a Google search for "fairies" and "tooth fairy". I was more interested in the images than anything else. The results made me even more convinced about the image I wanted for Fairy May. So many of the results were curvy figured fairies with not much clothing and a high dose of make up. I wanted Fairy May to be a young fairy and give an image that young kids could better relate too.

What do you hope your readers come away with after reading your book?
I hope it will make them realize that just because something is difficult doesn't mean it can't be done and encourage them to go after their own dreams.

Excerpt from book:

"Once upon a time, in a land far away,
there lived a little fairy whose name was Fairy May."

Where can we go to buy your book?
Fairy May is available from Amazon in both print and kindle format. It's also available from all other major bookstores.

Any other links or info you'd like to share?
Free activity packs to go with the book can be downloaded from my website www.JoLinsdell.com on the Fairy May page.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for having me here and helping spread the word about Fairy May.

    ReplyDelete