Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Jack Remick, author of Gabriela and the Widow



Author Bio:
I am a novelist, poet, short story writer, screenwriter.


Title: Gabriela and The Widow
Author: Jack Remick
ISBN: 978-1603811477
Genre: women’s fiction
Price: 14.95
 


Tell us about your book:
Gabriela and The Widow is a story of chaos, revenge, and change. Gabriela seeks revenge for the destruction of her village. The Widow craves balance for the betrayals in her life. In the end, The Widow gives Gabriela the secret of immortality.

How long did it take to write the book?
My first notes on this novel show that I was writing backstory on characters and setting in April, 2010. The publisher saw the reading copy in April 2011. The novel was released in January 2013.

What inspired you to write the book?
In Gabriela and The Widow I set out to write a novel about two women—one an immigrant, Gabriela, on a journey to the North, the other a dying old woman, a Widow who lives in the desert. I was drawn to the subject of the collision of cultures that is ripping America apart right now, but I also wished to examine how women relate without men. It is the story of how The Widow makes Gabriela in her own image and sets her free from her bloody past. It is a book about mothers and daughters, it is a novel about women for women, but it is also a mythic recasting of the story of women before men.

Talk about the writing process. Did you have a writing routine? Did you do any research, and if so, what did that involve?
The process for me involves constant rewriting. I write everything longhand. Two days a week I write at Louisa’s Bakery CafĂ© in Seattle with ten to 20 other writers. We use the “writing practice” technique Natalie Goldberg teaches in her Taos workshops. I do most editing at the computer, but no first work. That has to be longhand. I feel a strong connection to the pen and the ink. I use a fountain pen for that. Research—I have a library of reference books that I use for details. Research used to be about libraries and bookstores, but now the web lets us go deeper faster. For example, in Gabriela and The Widow, silver and gold coins, and precious stones are important objects. It took me a couple of days to immerse myself in numismatics and gemology to find what I needed.  But it was there. Cross referencing is paramount when you use the web for material, so I always back-check. The quantity of expert information available to writers is amazing. I also do a lot of geographical research for settings, time, place. For Gabriela, the settings are important so the maps and details of place I got from on-line research paid off well.

What do you hope your readers come away with after reading your book?
I would like my readers to come away with a sense of the importance of myth and story-telling in our lives. Writing has been invented only a few times—The Fertile Crescent, China, and Mesoamerica. Writing lets us access the time-machine built into us. Writing lets us project the future, study the past, and document the present. In Gabriela we see that simply telling the story isn’t enough to preserve it. Gabriela has to write The Widow’s story in order to incorporate it. 


Excerpt from book:
From the opening:
The year the war ended, Gabriela led her sick mother out of Tepeñixtlahuaca. The bones of the villagers still had meat on them then and the hearths still had fire in them but the retreating soldiers had chased away the skinny dogs and burned the houses. Scattered in the jungle, the bodies of young women had been left to rot. The young men had been killed or turned into soldiers who had, in their own time, committed atrocities.
The path down off the mountain to Paso de la Reina was stony and hard. The journey took eight hours. Gabriela had walked it only three times in her fourteen years, but this time she had the feeling that it would not end well because every few meters along the way, she caught sight of jungle toads staring at her. They were giants, their gray-green bodies covered with warts, their bellies white as cotton. One of them flicked his tongue at Gabriela. When she saw a toad eating a small bird she knew that her mother would not live to see the doctor in Jamiltepec.
At the edge of Paso de la Reina, in sight of the huts and houses and the Rio Verde, her mother begged for a longer rest. Gabriela sat her on a large stone alongside the path in the evening light and there her mother died.

Where can we go to buy your book?
Coffeetown Press publishes all my work. You can find them at http://coffeetownpress.com. For a quick list, I have an author website: http://jackremick.com with details on each novel. There is, of course, amazon.com, that ubiquitous source for all things printed, as well as Smashwords. E-copies are available through all those outlets.

Any other links or info you'd like to share?
For the writers out there, you can check out http://bobandjackswritingblog.com. This blog contains everything I know about writing. The two latest posts are “Writing Tips for the Committed Novelist” and “Twenty Steps to Starting Your Novel.” We’ve posted dozens of techniques, including the something we call Syntactic Flex. 


You can find out more about Jack Remick, his books and World of Ink Author/Book Tour at http://tinyurl.com/akw7kk6

Follow Jack Remick at
Author page: http://jackremick.com
Twitter: @jackremick
Publisher Website: http://CoffeetownPress.com


6 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this interview about me and Gabriela and The Widow with your readers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a great site and thank you for having Jack Remick as a guest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Readers will love Gabriela and the Widow. I couldn't put it down.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Marilyn: I hope you have the time to read Gabriela and The Widow. I often think of readers as those who give time back to the writer who brings the story out of the darkness. Usually exhausted and fretting, the writer, depleted, waits for the news--I finished your book...sweet words are those...Jack

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am Mariam used every single spell worker on the internet, spent untold amounts of money and discovered they are all fakes...i was the fool though; doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. In the end, I decided that I wanted a tarot reading to know what my future held for me; I contacted a woman who lives locally to me and she told me about a man named (Priests Abija); he does not advertise on the internet, has another job for income, has no set prices, makes no false promises and refuses to help anyone that cannot be helped and even helps for free sometimes, he will give you proof before taking money. He is a wonderful man and he was the only person who actually gave me real results. I really hope he doesn't mind me advertising his contact on the internet but I'm sure any help/ extra work will benefit him.contact him here as +447053820826 or spirituallighthealing101@live.com He travel sometimes.i cant give out his number cos he told me he don’t want to be disturbed by many people across the world..he said his email is okay and he’ will replied to any emails asap,love marriage,finance, job promotion ,lottery Voodoo,poker voodoo,golf Voodoo,Law & Court case Spells,money voodoo,weigh loss voodoo,any sicknesses voodoo,Trouble in marriage,HIV AIDS,it's all he does Hope this helps everyone that is in a desperate situation as I once was; I know how it feels to hold onto something and never have a chance to move on because of the false promises and then to feel trapped in wanting something
    more.

    ReplyDelete